8.11.12

BOOK CLUB: POST OFFICE

Post Office by Charles Bukowski

The next book on my book club's reading list is Post Office, the first novel by the infamous Charles Bukowski.

Our last book, Illustrado by Miguel Syjuco was an okay read. It was an ambitious novel set in both New York City and the Philippines. It felt a bit disjointed, and at times I felt at a loss as to how the various story lines fit together. It turns out I was missing a lot of the cultural references. My friend and fellow book clubber, who is originally from the Philippines, had a different take on the novel. He told us that a number of Filipino folk tales were used to weave together seemingly random stories.

Dear editor, I think a footnote or two would be helpful for the book's next edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...